Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Time on Page does not = Avg. Time on Page X Pageviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I'm wondering why my 'Time on Page' does not equal the 'Pageviews' multiplied by 'Avg. Time on Page' in my custom report?  The 'Time on Page' statistic is significantly less (approx one quarter) than if I just multiply the 'Pageviews' by the 'Avg. Time on Page'.

Am I able to add a Metric Group where the output is simply a formula of the outputs of two other metric groups?

Thanks,

Ben.

Re: Time on Page does not = Avg. Time on Page X Pageviews

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

It should be more or less same.

Can you try: https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/query-explorer/?start-date=2015-12-01&end-date=yesterday&metrics=ga...

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Re: Time on Page does not = Avg. Time on Page X Pageviews

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Average time on page is a little more complicated, but rightfully so. Here is the formula that you can use to validate:
(Pageviews - Exits) * Avg.ToP = Time On Page

Time on page is the summation of time of all pageviews for each page. However, there is no timer keeping track. Time on page is calculated by the difference between the time stamp for the page load and the time stamp for the next page view. So the last page view of every single session (generally) has a time on page of zero. Because of this, GA excludes those pageviews when calculating the average so you have a good idea of the actual average rather an inherently skewed figure.