Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Test Bounces metric or Session Duration to exclude bounced sessions with a segment

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm making a segment to exclude all individual sessions that bounced (not Users) for a report. In the past I used session duration to test for bounces, but I recently read a recommendation to test the User Metric Bounces for a value > 0. That produces a similar but different session count than testing session duration. So now I'm wondering if I'm doing this right at all.

I have made a Condition segment to exclude sessions that have bounced. If a User visits the site 3 times and bounces twice I want to exclude those two bounces but include his third non-bounce session.

Should I be testing the (blue) User metric for Session Duration = 0 to exclude Bounces, or should I be testing the User metric for Bounces > 0? Should I be testing either of these metrics for different values? Am I completely wrong on all counts?

Thanks to anyone who could clarify.

Test Bounces metric or Session Duration to exclude bounced sessions with a segment

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you want to exclude bounced sessions you can either:

Exclude sessions with Session Duration (blue metric) = 0

or

Include sessions with Bounces = 0.

These two conditions should get the same result.

Of course it could be a situation when we don't have bounce but session duration is 0s - e.g. when someone reload page within 1 second or click two times same link to your page and quit.