Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sudden high increase in the percentage of new sessions. What could be the explanation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi the Analytics community

I've got a big stress. I notice sinds 2 days an super big increase in the % of new sessions.

When i check my positions in SERP's i don't see any change.

Could someone have an explanation for it

My website has a traffic arround 4000 visits per day => it's not an issue because of a website with so few visits that a small change could explain the %new sessions change.

Here is a graph

FireShot Screen Capture #127 - 'Audience Overview - Analytics' - analytics_google_com_analytics_web_#report_visitors-overview_a100.png

Thanks for your help

Regards

Patrick

Sudden high increase in the percentage of new sessions. What could be the explanation

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems to be related to https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Missing-data-from-yesterday-10-25...

But i was not considering "missing data" as a way to discribe my issue even if it could be the case

Regards

Patrick

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get the same thing since yesterday (i got a backup counter in my backend so i'm a 100% sure that the data is wrong).

Seems as if GA is counting returning users as new users.

that also explains the "missing data" issue you linked above.

Any idea what to do?

thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm seeing the same.  I have what appears to be a lot of sessions missing on the 26th and since then the % of new sessions is close to 100%.   I'd assumed that the reported data hadn't been refreshed properly so was waiting until today to see if it had changed.  Yesterday's session number had recovered, but the % of new sessions is still abnormally high.

There was a GA release on Tuesday, I wonder if it's related or caused the issue.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7189627?hl=en&ref_topic=6179391

Could really do with some help on this one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I didn't know about the "release" pages from the GA team. I learn everyday. Thx

Patrick

[ Edited ]
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think it is related to GA release notes.

But they should definitely track it here: https://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en

or atleast post updates on twitter.

This self-promotional signature has been removed by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines. Repeated violations may result in suspension from the Advertiser Community.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As noted on the 'Missing Data' post, I have also experienced this for the 26th, 27th and now the 28th. The number of new sessions increased by 100% on the 26th, 75% on the 27th, and now around 60%. This seems to be correspondent with our visitor numbers. All three should have been high traffic days for our site (well over 8k visits), but the 26th shows our visits below 5k which hasn't happened in a long time. This is very frustrating as we use this data for potential advertisers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They should indeed. My first reflex was to check and I didn't see anything. But it's not that the service is down but not well functionning.

Regards

Patrick

Re: Sudden high increase in the percentage of new sessions. What could be the explanation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here are screens of my sessions and new sessions. The Pageviews graph matches sessions. This is extremely frustrating. The last three dots are the 25-27th. The 27th should have been a 10k+ day as we had a popular article go out. And I think the 26th should have been around 8k.

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 7.49.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-28 at 7.50.07 AM.png