Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop of visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have been tracking our traffic on Google Analytics for years and since around the first of November last year we have been consistently  losing around 10,000 users a month in our organic traffic.  We have been trying to find out the cause of this drop in traffic.  We have made no major changes on our site that would cause this loss. We do know that Google upgraded the Google Analytics around the middle of October.  Could this have affected our traffic reports, as at times now when we go to check them they are registering "0" which we know is not right and then the next day the numbers are up again, but seems the reports are not as consistent as before.  We had around 150,000 unique visitors and now down to 100,000 six months later.  Has Google changed its standards?  We try to keep current with all of their requirements. Have they made a change in their algorithms?  Can you give us any clues as to why we are dropping 10,000 a month in our traffic reports?  Is there anything we can do regarding this organic traffic loss?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Sudden drop of visitors

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Betty,

Google Analytics have changed a lot of things in the past few months, but that didn't affected any of the customers data. I assume that your analytics tracking code is working correctly(verify it again).  if everything is going good with analytics tracking you must check your search console results. Check if your web pages are being indexed by google. The google search algorithm has changed a lot in the last year, make sure your site is not panelized. Also check if you have lost any external links to your site. 

Still not finding the answer, post your site url so we can check and assist you further.

kind regards

Noman Karim

Sudden drop of visitors

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Also

- check to see if your direct traffic has increased in response to the drop in organic (this would suggest an attribution issue)

- check which pages have lost visits. Is it all landing pages, or just some?

- segment out new visitors and look at their organic trends. Go as back as far you can (and can be sure that the data is good) - if you see a trend of significant decreases in returning visitors from organic, then this can suggest an attribution issue (i.e. for some reason cookies are being relabelled as direct). A decrease in new visitors suggests a problem with your site, and your ability to attract organic visitors in the first place (as suggested earlier, compare this data with search console).

- One small possibility is if you had incorrectly labelled adwords campaigns in the past, these could show up as organic (though that is reaching a bit).

Once you've eliminated any tracking fails then you need to consider the implications of this from an SEO perspective. Have you made any technical changes to your site which could impact SEO - url changes could influence this for example, or a change in title policies? Has your market changed - have your competitors changed or improved their sites, or invested heavily in adwords?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Sudden drop of visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our website is www.bibleresources.org and we would appreciate you looking at it and seeing if you spot anything  that would be helpful.
Thanks,

Betty Miller

Sudden drop of visitors

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi - the suggestions I made above are nothing I can check, you'll need to access your GA data. However, I took a quick look at your site and could not find anything - but it was a very quick look; basically to check that the code was present and not duplicated.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.