AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop of Avg. session duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I noticed a sudden drop of Average Session Duration in mid- January. All of a sudden it went from an average of 1 minute 20 seconds (for several years) to 6 seconds overnight.

I am fairly certain that if readers are only on my blog for 6 seconds that the pageview track code isn't even firing off for the visit yet- and this number has held at about 6-10 second duration since Jan.17th. I know that my ad management company made some changes around then- could it be something to do with that? Or any ideas or suggestions on what is up?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden drop of Avg. session duration

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

It can be caused by spam. Please check this great up to date article about removing Google Analytics spam:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold. I clicked over to the article- and it sounds like that would only be the case for a short time (a few days or so) This has been going on for nearly 2 months. I think something must be screwed up in the analytics code or the settings. Is there any other explanation for a drastic overnight drop like that and that hasn't recovered back to normal for months?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

Once the spam starts it won't stop and it will continue messing up your data. If you can post your site URL I can check if your code is ok.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital