Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop of Avg. session duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I noticed a sudden drop of Average Session Duration in mid- January. All of a sudden it went from an average of 1 minute 20 seconds (for several years) to 6 seconds overnight.

I am fairly certain that if readers are only on my blog for 6 seconds that the pageview track code isn't even firing off for the visit yet- and this number has held at about 6-10 second duration since Jan.17th. I know that my ad management company made some changes around then- could it be something to do with that? Or any ideas or suggestions on what is up?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden drop of Avg. session duration

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

It can be caused by spam. Please check this great up to date article about removing Google Analytics spam:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold. I clicked over to the article- and it sounds like that would only be the case for a short time (a few days or so) This has been going on for nearly 2 months. I think something must be screwed up in the analytics code or the settings. Is there any other explanation for a drastic overnight drop like that and that hasn't recovered back to normal for months?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

Once the spam starts it won't stop and it will continue messing up your data. If you can post your site URL I can check if your code is ok.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital