Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop in traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I found sudden drop in traffic in Google analytics, can you please let me know what is happening here. It happened second time.

My keywords are stable and Google webmaster report is fine.

Easy.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Sudden drop in traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Raymond,

It is not possible to say any thing by just seeing a graph on GA dashboard. I would like to suggest you to check tracking is working fine or not that you can check by using chromes' Tag assistant.

If tracking is working fine then there could be several reason except GA tracking.

Thanks

Sudden drop in traffic

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

There's two hypotheses you should probably address first:

1. That this is a result of a tracking code implementation which is not performing as you expect.

2. That your tracking is correct and that this traffic pattern is the result of normal fluctuations in your traffic.

I'd start by looking at:

- Is it all traffic, or just traffic from a particular source which is displaying unusual behaviour?

- Can this trend be explained by the appearance, and then disappearance, of spam? (there are numerous articles on how to identify and remove spam on this forum)

- Can this trend be explained by the activation of marketing activity such as adwords or seasonal activity from your customers?

- Have any changes been made to the website, for example design changes?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Sudden drop in traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Please take a look at my comments below.

Is it all traffic, or just traffic from a particular source which is displaying unusual behavior?

It is same for all sources, referral, Organic, Direct etc. That is quite strange for me. I have shared Organic, direct and referral traffic insights.

Second thing I usually have good traffic on each Monday. But since last week it is not appearing as it was. Before last week I was getting 900 visitors on Monday but in last two weeks Monday’s traffic just around 300.

Can this trend be explained by the appearance, and then disappearance, of spam? (there are numerous articles on how to identify and remove spam on this forum) Do I need to do this, I am not sure about spam traffic, but getting good traffic since more than 1 year.

Can this trend be explained by the activation of marketing activity such as adwords or seasonal activity from your customers? No there is not for adword as I shared the screenshots. And there is nothing seasonal.

- Have any changes been made to the website, for example design changes? Didn’t made any changes to the website.

Screenshots:

http://prnt.sc/f360b6
http://prnt.sc/f360ff
http://prnt.sc/f360jn

Sudden drop in traffic

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

ok - this is a little tricky to troubleshoot, as it could be many different factors, but here goes:

Is it all traffic, or just traffic from a particular source which is displaying unusual behavior? - check the landing pages, is it just some pages which are attracting less traffic or all of them? 

Can this trend be explained by the appearance, and then disappearance, of spam? - do any of your mediums have large numbers of single page visits from new visitors, this could be a sign of spam.

Can you post a link to your website?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.