Analytics
5.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Subdomain as a landing page in reports

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, everybody!

I've got a set of websites on major domain and several subdomains (like help.domain.com, login.domain.com etc.). They are all tracked within the same property.

I've set up cookiDomain auto, excluded subdomains and set the maximum cookie lifetime to let my websites be tracked as a single one.

But our login.domain.com homepage (where not logged in users are redirected from some pages), always appears in Landing Pages report with pretty big number.

About 30% of such landings are natural (people really tried to start their session from content, that's available for not logged in users only).

But I still suspect many sessions simply get broken while user is surfing our websites.

Are there any other measures that can help to reduce session breaking except for "traditional" ones (with domainCookie and referral exclusion)? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
When you say you have excluded subdomains.. do you mean you have added them to the Referral Exclusion List?

Usually for subdomain tracking, the only thing required would be to ensure the same tracking code for the same Property is added to the main domain and the applicable subdomains... together with the cookieDomain being set to auto. Only the root domain needs to be added to the referral exclusion list.

Good article on proper implementation of subdomain tracking by Cert. Partner Company - Lunametrics

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/08/11/subdomain-tracking-google-analytics/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

>Usually for subdomain tracking, the only thing required would be to ensure the same tracking code for the same Property is added to the main domain and the applicable subdomains... together with the cookieDomain being set to auto. Only the root domain needs to be added to the referral exclusion list.

Yes, we have the same tracking code (the same GTM code that launches the same Universal Analytics tag) on all the subdomains.

We had sybdomains in referral exclusion list, recently I've added route domain, but it seems to be all the same - we still have sessions starting from login subdomain.