Analytics
1.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Strange traffic on Android app

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been testing analytics with an android app I'm making, which is still very rough and which I have not made available to anyone ever.

When I log into Google Analytics today, I find that on the 29th July there has been a traffic spike of about 35 users from a bunch of service providers.  This had happened to me before with another tracking number which I then deleted, and started using a new one - but I cannot figure out where this traffic originates from. Since this is an app, not a site, it's not like someone is randomly stumbling over it.

These hits are being treated as new users, but they do not initiate any screen views and/or events.

https://s32.postimg.org/vanib40px/image.png

Any ideas what is causing this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Strange traffic on Android app

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It definitely looks like it - but how would that work with an Android app? How are they getting the tracking code?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Any junior programmer can create a counter that can be used to create random or systematic numbers that can be used by the measurement protocol to create spam, I would be willing to bet that every account ever created and every user has been hit and continues to be hit by these spammers. The best that you can do is filter this data out and take the basic steps outlined in the articles to try and minimize the spam.

I would like to know how the spammers benifit from creating this spam, I can not imagine they do this just for fun but rather they gain something by doing this.