Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Strange increase in traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've seen a sudden increase in traffic on our website. The site is blocked from indexing and only promoted within our company.

What would cause an average of 70 pageviews a day suddenly increase to over 500 pageviews per day. It's a definite pattern:

stats.jpg

Strange increase in traffic

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi My, 

It looks like Google considers most of the traffic increase as "returning users," as the %New Sessions graph took a pretty big hit right when traffic increased. 

This is the approach i would take if i saw this on my site:

Using the same date range, go to Channels or Source/Medium under Acquisition. Click into the top channels or source/mediums to see where the increase came from (trended graph will look similar to your screenshot). From there you can better troubleshoot the cause of the increase. For example, if you see that the increase occurred in Referrals, you can then add a secondary dimension to see the actual sites that sent the referrals, where those users landed, etc.

Best,

Mike