Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Strange geographical report data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have a fairly new website which was receiving between 0 and 6 sessions per day.

On Friday 13th Nov I sent out a mailshot (approx 150 emails) to schools in the south west UK from my PC Outlook client.

On Monday 16th November the site received 55 sessions and the following day 33 sessions which is a spike I was expecting.

The trouble is the vast majority of these are from USA, Russia and China according to Analytics which I'm finding hard to believe. I added a segment to isolate sessions from United Kingdom and this is reporting zero for Monday and 1 for Tuesday.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening.

many thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Strange geographical report data

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hello Terry, hope you are doing great.

I would suggest to add secondary dimension Source / Medium in your geo report to see where did this traffic come from Referrer SPAM, for example you can see such refferals as floating-share-buttons.com from countries which your customer do not come from.

Please let me know if it solved your problem.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey - thanks for the reply.

I have checked the Referral traffic for the last week and
75% comes from snip.to
23% from claim64761517.copyrightclaims.org
1% from alibestsale.com
1% from floating-share-buttons.com

If this is all spam then how did it suddenly increase the moment I send out some mailshots? It seems really suspicious.

Many thanks
Terry

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Terry, snip.to is refferal spam traffic so my assumption was right.

I don't know how it happened with your account as I am not in your GA but you it happens with so many accounts so
I think the main question now - how to get rid of such traffic, right? Robots can spoil all your statistics so first thing is to go : Google Analytics > View > View Settings > Bot Filtering (click on the box).

If you still see refferal span you can create an advanced segment in GA that will exclude those providers which you have identified.

This are the easiest solutions I know, there are other ways which are a bit more complicated. Please let me know if you will still face such problem, so we can work out other solutions.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency