Analytics
6.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Strange drop in Traffic - See the graph

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Please refer the below graph that shows huge drop in the traffic. 

Here is my analysis: 

- No flaw with GA Code.

- Traffic drop is for home page and the source is direct traffic

- Traffic dropped by 50k and there is a gradual decrease in the traffic from Jan 20th. 

Can someone let me know what could be the possible reason and how to regain the traffic? 

Traffic Drop.jpg

Thank you,

Shashank

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @shashank s,

I am not sure if this might be a referral spam as the traffic has increased around Jan 1 and again dropped.
Can you try to segment the traffic landing on home page and direct as source and check the metrics like bounce rate, Avg. Session duration ,etc
Also, try looking for the device, city, browser version, etc for this segment to find exact cohort of this increased traffic. 

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Ritwik

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ritwik B,

This is not referral spam. There is a drop in direct and mobile traffic, if i compare the data for Jan 3rd and Jan 4th. The max traffic dropped through Chrome & Android Browser. 

But, this is not helping me to find the root cause. 

Thanks,

Shashank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm experiencing a similar issue. Traffic took a steep drop around December 30, even though promotion has remained the same and actually increased mid-January. Was on GA chat and things seem to be fine, but this is not normal at all. Seems to be mostly organic search traffic. The site is SEO-friendly (mobile/no pop-ups, etc.)...so not sure what the issue could be. It's like it stopped tracking for a month?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7i7A9yPfVaNbFMwU1ltbm9qWUk/view?usp=sharing

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

For this traffic check to see what it's behaviour and characteristics are: is it mainly new visitors? is the bounce rate high, and pages per session, time on site low? - this would suggest spam. What is the landing page for this traffic - check your content reports and compare against the past. Check network and hostname as well (under the audience>technology reports). 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @John W,

I've checked the reports. Traffic dropped suddenly from 20th of Jan. 

I have compared the data for 17 Jan - 19 Jan to 20 Jan - 22 Jan

Except a huge drop in direct traffic for the home page, there is nothing i could find. 

Though the traffic reduced from Jan 20th on wards, I couldn't find significant drop in traffic from other sources/channels except Direct Traffic. 

Any thoughts please? 

Thanks,

S

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Did you check the bounce rate, pages per visit and duration for these direct visits? What do you see there?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @John W,

There is a difference in New Users!!
Not much deviation in Bounce Rate and Pages/Session.