Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Strange dip in number of visitors

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I see a strange drop and recover in visitors around 8th-25th september. Numbers align with number of Clicks from Google Search Console, page rank is steady. Don't see any changes on my site could have caused it. Site contain mostly classifieds and local deals.

Do anyone have an idea what could be a possible cause?

Please help

Thanks

analitics.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Difficult to say, it could be a lot of things, but I'd look at the traffic sources so as to find out if any particular source is behind the drop.

Other reports worth looking: Landing Pages, Mobile Overview, Browser & OS, Location (if your site is international).

Lastly, does the traffic drop somehow have to do with those annotations created in the same period - the little rectangular blurbs at the bottom of the chart in the screenshot? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @R Rodrigues for great advice.

Number of visitors is strongly correllated with number of Clicks from Google Search in this case. People seem to came less from Google Search during this 2.5 week period despite steady page rank / impressions (number of Impressions slowly declined days later).

Annotations marks applied patches. I've tried adding more links to sitemap, don't see it made much of an effect.

My guess it that sudden drop and recover of visitors were caused by competing results / changes in Google Search Algorithm. Is it plausible?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Google search organic traffic? If so, why don't you isolate this traffic via a segment and analyse it? Does the decline come from any particular landing page? Do you have Search Console and GA linked? If so, have you looked at Search Console under Acquisition yet?

I can't really give an opinion about Google Search Algorithm, to be frank. But, at first, I thought it was too much of a coincidence the decline came during the period you annotated those changes and straight after traffic bounced back.