Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Strange difference between clicks and sessions in GA-Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there,

I recently connected a search console property to my GA property. Now if I open the Landing Pages report in the Search Console section I am confused by the differences between the SC Clicks and the GA Sessions reported for individual landing pages. In my understanding GA should attribute a session to a landing page each time it is retrieved through a search result. So clicks and sessions should be about the same. However, throughout my data there are always vastly more clicks (roughly 5 times) than sessions reported. There are even some cases for Landing Pages that have e.g. 313 clicks but 0 sessions.

Any ideas how this numbers can come about?

All the best,

Lasse

Re: Strange difference between clicks and sessions in GA-Report

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lasse,
You are trying to compare two completely different things. To know more on this please check below post .

Google Search Console vs. Google Analytics – Why Clicks Don’t Match Sessions @ http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/08/05/google-search-console-clicks-vs-google-analytics-sessions...
Hope this helps.
Thanks

Re: Strange difference between clicks and sessions in GA-Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Santosh,

thanks for the article. I had read it before but didn't come to a solution for my issue. The mentioned article lists several possible reasons for differences between SC clicks and GA sessions. However, non of those seems to be the cause of the differences in my case.

Maybe to clarify a bit: The example with 313 clicks and 0 sessions is a normal article on a news website of which there are 1000s in the system. So I can rule out content not counted by GA. Moreover, GA reports traffic for the exact same hostname that is found in the Landing Page report that does not provide any GA data, so this shouldn't be the cause. Lastly, I believe disabled JS or the page not being loaded by the user cannot be blamed for such big differences.

The way I understand GA sessions on a landing page basis a session is attributed to that page if this is the entry page. I thus looked up the GA data for the page in question and it shows 242 entries for google / organic. So there should be at least some sessions attributed to that landing page.

Hope this helps to get further to the bottom of the issue.

All the best,
Lasse