Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Steady decline in Organic Search Traffic from Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have seen a steady decline in Organic Search traffic from Google Since about December 18, 2016. I have tried everything I can think of to discover the reason for this decline, but so far have come up with nothing. 

Any suggestions from the group here to explain this slow and steady drop? 

Channels   Analytics.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Steady decline in Organic Search Traffic from Google

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
This question may possibly be better asked on the Webmaster Central Help Forum since it relates to organic search traffic

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

I did find the following info online via google search:

Update Alert
DECEMBER 15, 2016
Rank Risk Index Shows Mid-December Google Update
Starting on December 15th and hitting a risk level of 83 on the the 16th, the Rank Risk index picked up what the SEO community considered to be a Google algorithm update. Already on December 15th SearchEngineRoundTable noted that there appeared to be an algorithmic shift taking place. This assessment was corroborated by a heavy flow of chatter which indicated rankings were fluctuating on the Google SERP.

Rank Ranger’s Index that monitors mobile was even more volatile, showing a four day series of heightened fluctuation levels. This series of mobile rank fluctuations started on December 14th and ended on the 17th. During this four day fluctuation event the index hit a risk level high of 81 on December 16th.

To date, Google has not issued a comment, and as such has neither confirmed nor denied that they have rolled out an algorithm update.

Ref: https://www.rankranger.com/google-algorithm-updates#gac_yc_2016

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Steady decline in Organic Search Traffic from Google

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Other things to check.. are you noticing drops in google organic traffic from specific countries.. or devices... to specific pages.. ?

eta.. are you also seeing fluctuations in search console tracked information?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here