Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Stats from Google Analytics and Wordpress (Jetpack) Not Matching

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site's Google Analytics stats and WordPress (Jetpack) stats have been very similar. Beginning in June, Google Analytics stats dropped drastically, while WordPress stats continue looking steady. This is an English (US) website, and for the month of July, Google Analytics is showing the majority of traffic to the site is from Russia and that there was only 1 visit originating from the US. This makes no sense because we are confident we have visitors from the US and have tried visiting the site from multiple US based computers and it is still showing no increasing US based traffic. The only thing that we know has changed is there was referral (spam) traffic showing up and we set up filters to exclude these 5 specific URLs.

I've tried suggestions found in this forum to remove the filters and see if that makes a difference and to set up a different "View" for the original site with no filters or exclusions applied. There is no difference in the data. Wordpress stats continue to show steady traffic to the site each day while Google Analytics shows much lower numbers and mostly visitors from Russia.

The website is www.wbrinsurance.com. If anyone has thoughts on how to test or fix this issue, it would be much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hope P
August 2016

Re: Stats from Google Analytics and Wordpress (Jetpack) Not Matching

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Hope :-)
The website is using Monster Insights Plugin for adding GA to the website from the look of the source code.
There are errors with how the tracking is being added.

You need to check the Monster Insights plugin settings under it's Advanced tab and if there is any code added to the custom code area,
it needs to be revised and corrected or removed.
(eta -The plugin does have the ability to track outbound links as either pageviews or events, so custom code should not be needed to add this funtionality.)
If there is no custom code added in the custom code box, then there is possibly an issue wth the plugin and you will need to follow up with the plugin's own support found here: https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/google-analytics-for-wordpress

Also the GA Property and any GA View Settings pages should be checked to ensure the website url is entered with the www in the domain name.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
try : https://www.checkmyanalytics.com/

Make sure all your website pages are tagged.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
hello Hope,

please check your analytics tracking code on your website. its not properly inserted.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Lot of JS errors on the website, which is blocking GA code to fire.

You can easily debug on the website with GA debugger:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna

You can check in chrome, console tab with 'Preserve log' turned ON.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
It should be:

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','__gaTracker');

__gaTracker('create', 'UA-54967356-3', 'auto');
__gaTracker('set', 'forceSSL', true);

var trackOutboundLink = function(url) {
ga('send', 'event', 'outbound', 'click', url, {
'transport': 'beacon',
'hitCallback': function(){document.location = url;}
});
//Check outhttp://agency.nationwide.com/john-w-wilson-jr-in-virginia-beach-va
}

//Check out example.com
__gaTracker('send','pageview');
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hope P
August 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Hope :-)
The website is using Monster Insights Plugin for adding GA to the website from the look of the source code.
There are errors with how the tracking is being added.

You need to check the Monster Insights plugin settings under it's Advanced tab and if there is any code added to the custom code area,
it needs to be revised and corrected or removed.
(eta -The plugin does have the ability to track outbound links as either pageviews or events, so custom code should not be needed to add this funtionality.)
If there is no custom code added in the custom code box, then there is possibly an issue wth the plugin and you will need to follow up with the plugin's own support found here: https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/google-analytics-for-wordpress

Also the GA Property and any GA View Settings pages should be checked to ensure the website url is entered with the www in the domain name.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn, thanks for your help it is much appreciated. I checked the advanced tab and you are right, there was a custom code added. I removed the code and ran the Google Tag Assistant and it is no longer showing any errors. Hopefully this has resolved the issue. Thanks for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Norman,
Thank you, you're correct. I removed and then re-inserted and it appears to have resolved the issue.