Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Start pages for searches

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Is it normal that I get my search page as my top start page where users perform searches or is this due to bad implementation? In my opinion I shouldn't get this page unless people performed a first search and then searched again from the search results? Is this what it means?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards, Alex

1 Expert replyverified_user

Start pages for searches

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Alex,

Usually I see the homepage or other high traffic page as the most common start page.  You should see the search results page as the "Destination Page" and the refined keyword would tell you what they searched for again (from your results page).  I suspect that perhaps the term is not available in the URI and is passed in on the next page (the results page) but that's just a guess.  It's probably a sub-optimal implementation.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Start pages for searches

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your help, appreciate as usual Smiley Happy

I have top start page the search page, then home. As destination pages I have thousands of search urls (search filters and categories) and finally as search destination pages I have the main search url again, (exit) and other pages in less amount.

What would be the typically start, destination and search destination pages look like, please? 

Thanks and Best Regards, A. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
June

Start pages for searches

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Alex,

Typically search traffic follow site traffic to some extent.  That said, nothing is typical as all sites are different.  Smiley Happy

You can use the exclude query parameter setting in the view settings to clean up your content reports (if needed).  It sounds like your implementation may be a little off or you users don't like the results given initially.  If you have an ecommerce site I may expect to see it that way or - especially if you can refine by category after your search and the page redraws.  That may explain your data.

Hope that helps. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Start pages for searches

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,