Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Start page vs. landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I realize this subject has been dealt with before, but I still don't understand it. From my understanding the landing page is the page you "land on" when you visit the website and starting page is the page from which visitors search it.

So: If I see a link on facebook to my website, click it and land on the front page ("/"), then click around to a different page (perhaps a product page) and close the session, which is which? My guess:

Landing page: Front page ("/")

Starting page: Facebook(?)

1st interaction: Product page

Hope you can help me.

Best regards

Frederik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frederik H
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh I see.

The "Behavior flow" reports treats "Starting page" differently than Site Search report. In this particular case "Starting page" reflects group of landing pages. e.g. "products/" block in the starting page column may include "products/", "products/new/", "products/?filter:color=red". To list all the grouped pages click on a block and then select group details. In this case Starting page means Landing page.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Starting page refers to a page in session where user made search on your site. It counts only if site search is configured in view settings. 
So there should be no starting page if your site visitors didn't use search but only clicked around

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Start-page-vs-landing-page/td-p/5...

both the pages will have to be on your domain, so FB will be referrer but not (landing/start)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see

Thank you, but it doesn't quite explain why there are so many starting pages. There are more sessions on starting pages than on landing pages (see picture) and most of the traffic TO the starting pages comes FROM the landing pages. Also, this would not explain why there are no drop offs from the landing pages.

Best

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Frederic,

there is no picture attached

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frederik H
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh I see.

The "Behavior flow" reports treats "Starting page" differently than Site Search report. In this particular case "Starting page" reflects group of landing pages. e.g. "products/" block in the starting page column may include "products/", "products/new/", "products/?filter:color=red". To list all the grouped pages click on a block and then select group details. In this case Starting page means Landing page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see, thank you very much.

Frederik

Re: Start page vs. landing page

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

please note also that behavior flow could be somehow delayed and do not include the most recent data.
but here is some comparison of user flow report and landing pages report from one of my projects:

user-flow.png