Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Source = starting point for the path to a specific page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, All,

After showing our client a report detailing 17 specific sources for a specific landing page she had this question.

"Are these sources simply the starting points for the path to that landing page? There are no direct links from some of the sources to this specific page."

A great question! I'm stumped & can't find a definitive answer in Analytics help or by searching Google Analytics' definition of "source". I've tried viewing "User Flow" but that wasn't very helpful in obtaining an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kathy S
December 2015

Re: Source = starting point for the path to a specific page?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kathy
This depends on what report you're showing.
If it's the channels report or the majority of source/medium reports, then yes, it's where the visitor started their journey on the site to eventually land on the landing page.

User flow will only show the flow of the user through the site. If you want to break it down by "source", you'll have to create a custom segment.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Re: Source = starting point for the path to a specific page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Dave. Yes it was a source/medium report that I pulled initially. I was trying to confirm my theory using the flow report, but that didn't prove helpful. I appreciate your time!