Analytics
3.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Source/Medium Tracking Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am experiencing an interesting issue with the Source/Medium data in my Google Analytics account. The source for pageviews of one of my forms is coming through accurately, but the source is lost on the coversion end of the pageview. In other words, when a customer visits the page and completes a transaction, I have dozens of transactions showing as Direct/None for Source/Medium, when I believe that there are specific sources for them. Google URLs with UTM parameters have been set up for the different traffic sources for the form. Any thoughts on what could be happening to the data from the time someone clicks on the original source to the time the transaction occurs would be helpful. Thank you!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Katherine.

Usually Google Analytics assign Direct/None source/medium for a session after checking a long list of conditions to assign some other source (see the processing flow chart here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl=en). So the most common issues with assigning direct/none source medium are tracking implementations (esp. setting cookies names/tracker names/domains parameters) or back end issues such as site redirects. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the feedback! Do you think that Google's Campaign URL Builder parameters are being overwritten in the process of getting a customer from (for example) a banner advertisement on an external website to an online form (where the conversion takes place)? If so, would it be better to not use the Campaign URL Builder and instead rely on the built-in tracking features in Google Analytics? Thanks again.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Katherine,

Campaign URL Builder is in fact built-in tracking feature in Google Analytics. If you're sure that your transactions originates from an advertising you just should check if your Google Analytics is implemented correctly in every purchase step. You could use Google Analytics Debugger (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...) or Tag Assistant (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...) Chrome extensions to do that

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the advice! I have noticed two interesting things when I view the Behavior > Site Content section in my Google Analytics account. First of all, one of my custom campaigns with UTM parameters that is tracking things accurately and retaining the Source/Medium on completed transactions does not display the UTM parameters (Ex: ?utm_source=banner) at the end of the transaction URLs. However the custom campaign I am having issues tracking shows the UTM parameters at the end of the URL for the landing page people are taken to after viewing the ad. Do you have any thoughts on why the custom campaign (built with the URL Builder) does not display the UTM parameters on the URL and the other does? Thanks again for your help.