Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Source / Medium Attribution

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have a goal setup (subscription). I want to see the initial source/medium that brings in users who eventually convert to a subscription. But what happens if a user first visits the site via a referral and then comes back again via an organic search? Will Google Analytics give credit to the referral or to the organic search?

Source / Medium Attribution

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason,

Last Non-Direct Click attribution model is used in all the regular reports (non-Multi-Channel Funnels reports)  in Google Analytics. So all direct traffic is ignored, and 100% of the credit for the sale goes to the last channel that the customer clicked through from before converting - in this case, the organic search channel will get this credit.

Here you can read more about different attribution models: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

If you'd like to see the whole customer journey, I would recommend analyzing Multi-Channel Funnels report in Google Analytics. Here you'll find a good article about that as well.

If you'd like to compare how different attribution models impact the valuation of your marketing channels, you should take a look at the Model Comparison Tool in Google Analytics.

Let me know if it helps @Jason E.

Taavi