Analytics
8.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Some pages of my site are not being tracked by GA, but I can't find any missing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Since a few days I have a strange problem on one of my websites Moveria.de.

The sessions as shown in GA have suddenly dropped by 50%. However, when I look in Search Console on the same dates, the traffic drop is not there. The clicks in Search Console are twice the amount of sessions in GA. Also, when I look at our clicks on affiliate links, there is no drop. So I have to conclude that somehow GA is not tracking all the visits. 

I found out that the traffic of specific pages is not shown in GA. Or, almost not shown....For example: on a page that used to have 50 hits per day, there is now 1 hit every second day. But in Search Console I still see 50 clicks per day. An example of such page is: Moveria.de/umzugschecklisten/erstausstattung-erste-eigene-wohnung/

I have installed the Google Tag Assistant to check the Analytics tags, but it shows no errors. 

I have also checked the unfiltered data in Analytics, but those numbers are more or less the same. 

What could be the cause of this? Does anyone have an idea?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Valine V
March 2017

Re: Some pages of my site are not being tracked by GA, but I can't find any missing tags

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Valine V :-)

How is the tracking code installed on the website? 
I'm currently seeing it towards the bottom of site pages that I look at,

- recommended installation is before the site's closing </head> tag.

The following page mentioned in your initial post

moveria.de/umzugschecklisten/erstausstattung-erste-eigene-wohnung/

has no tracking code installed as far as i can tell via the source code or GTA

(hence why i am asking how tracking is installed.. usually it would be added to the active theme's header.php file or via a plugin (which will stop it being overwritten/removed by theme updates when they occur)

moveria-notag.jpg

Regarding Search Console data and GA.
They are two seperate systems, tracking users in different ways.
Search console data is not tracked by GA, its imported in from Search Console.
Good article by Lunametrics, one of the GA Certified Partner Companies:

Google Search Console vs. Google Analytics – Why Clicks Don’t Match Sessions

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Valine V
March 2017

Re: Some pages of my site are not being tracked by GA, but I can't find any missing tags

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Valine V :-)

How is the tracking code installed on the website? 
I'm currently seeing it towards the bottom of site pages that I look at,

- recommended installation is before the site's closing </head> tag.

The following page mentioned in your initial post

moveria.de/umzugschecklisten/erstausstattung-erste-eigene-wohnung/

has no tracking code installed as far as i can tell via the source code or GTA

(hence why i am asking how tracking is installed.. usually it would be added to the active theme's header.php file or via a plugin (which will stop it being overwritten/removed by theme updates when they occur)

moveria-notag.jpg

Regarding Search Console data and GA.
They are two seperate systems, tracking users in different ways.
Search console data is not tracked by GA, its imported in from Search Console.
Good article by Lunametrics, one of the GA Certified Partner Companies:

Google Search Console vs. Google Analytics – Why Clicks Don’t Match Sessions

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Some pages of my site are not being tracked by GA, but I can't find any missing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Aha, so the tracking code is not there. Thank you for checking. So strange that I was still seeing the tracking code myself. Maybe something with my cache or cookies...I will add the plugin now and then test again. 

Thank you so much!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn, 

Thanks again for your reply. I found out something strange. When I am logged into WordPress and check the site, the Tag Assistant finds Google Analytics tags (and my visits are tracked in Analytics). However, when I'm logged out, there are no tags to be found. Do you understand what could be the cause of this?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Sounds like the tracking code has not been installed correctly.

What method has been used currently to install it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Bronwyn, we have fixed it now. I'm not sure what the error was in the end, but our developer found it Smiley Happy