Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information
 
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Some of a page's Page Title data in wrong place

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have found a few pages on our site that show an odd discrepancy between views/sessions for Page/Destination Page vs Page Title and have no idea why. The problem is that some pages have Page Title data showing up under the homepage.   

 

For example, let's take an article with a url of, say, " /article/headline-of-article/ ". When looking at a Page report in GA, it shows 300 pageviews for that URL. When looking at a Page Title report, however, the article with the title "headline of article" shows 250 pageviews. The other 50 Page Title pageviews appear under the homepage -- they have the correct URL, but GA has assigned them the homepage Page Title for some reason. This only happens for a few articles. The vast majority have no data discrepancy. 

 

The URL is set once an article is published in the CMS and even if the headline is later changed the URL does not change. Therefore the Page report is (I assume) the true measure of traffic. In all cases the headline of the article was never changed either, so the title meta has remained constant since first published. Why then is some of the traffic showing up with the Page Title of the homepage and not the Page Title of the actual article, as defined in the meta?

 

I can't tell if this is a GA configuration issue or a CMS configuration issue, but it's annoying because we have set up a bunch of user-friendly custom reports based on Page Title that now can't be trusted. The only change we recently made in GA was to set up four new custom dimensions based on category tags in the CMS, but I can't see how any of them would interfere with the basic page traffic data of just a few articles. Any ideas or insight appreciated. 

Re: Some of a page's Page Title data in wrong place

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@Philip G

I think is can be some issue with CMS you use. What CMS do you use? Can you tell us the domain?

Maybe your headline article change for some reason? Do you use jquery or loading some pages with javascript?

SH

Re: Some of a page's Page Title data in wrong place

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a custom CMS built on Django, which does use a lot of javascript but no jquery AFAIK.

 

The latest article to show this behavior is unchanged since being published -- same headline, meta tags, URL etc. I've yet to troubleshoot with the developers so it might indeed be something CMS related, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into potential GA-related causes.  

Re: Some of a page's Page Title data in wrong place

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Philip G

 

Hmmm,

1. please use filter by the URLs in Behavior -> Site Content -> All Pages

2. set secondary dimension like Page Title

3. Check what Page Title has the specific URL

4. Next check the Behavior Flow to that URL with Segment Page Title (what you see in point 2) (maybe you would find the problem) 

 

SH