Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Some Desktop users are counted as Mobile users

N/A
# 1
N/A

We use Google Analytics for our Company Intranet.

Usually about 1% of our sessions is from a mobile/tablet user. 99% is Desktop.

Since December 17th 2015, the 'mobile' sessions suddenly went up to about 9%.

Research showed this can't be right: this should still be about 1%. 

When our employees use our intranet in the office, they are counted as 'Internet Explorer 7' users (because of a wrong setting in the office) (this is a known internal error for us, it's ok).

So I filtered on 'Internet Explorer 7' in the Mobile users (so I know they aren't really Mobile but Desktop users), and here I could see they were 'Mobile' users with IE7 >> so these are the missing Desktop users.

I can't find what went wrong since December 17th. We didn't change anything in our tracking code etc.

I make reports using the Desktop vs Mobile users, and now I have to manually change these every time (filter the IE7 users). 

Do you have any idea what is going wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Some Desktop users are counted as Mobile users

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Google depends primarily on the user-agent string and some additional factors to determine if a device is mobile. There are many mobile devices such as rugged tablets still running IE7. Perhaps the IE7 'wrong setting' is causing this as well.

Its possible to use GA Custom Filters to change this information so they appear as a desktop device - is this what you are looking for?