Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Social traffic: referral and social mediums

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying to unpick my acquisition reports and I've come across sessions coming from:

Facebook/referral

Facebook/social

The referral medium makes sense since it's others' social channels sending us traffic. As per the social medium, I've spoken to the person responsible for marketing channels and she's mentioned that they don't use utm parameters on their links. How can I get sessions coming from social medium if they don't use those please? The only way that GA has to identify your social channels is through utm parameters right?

Thanks and Regards, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ACG,

that's right - Facebook usually comes as referral in standard reports.

Try the following flat-table custom report to get some overview of your campaign tagging:

Dimensions: Landing Page, Default Channels, Source / Medium, Campaign, Full Referrer

Metrics: Sessions

Filter: Full Referrer regex facebook

Christoph

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your message. 

I've done what you suggested as well as directly created a report that shows me what campaigns brought traffic from social channel, social medium and I've got four (one duplicated):

buffer

SocialSignIn

crowdfire

socialsignin

Do you know if these campaigns could be set using social media managing sites or something? It's strange that media don't use utm parameters and yet I've got (small) traffic from social medium and these campaigns...

Cheers, A.