Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Social eCommerce Tracking

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of information.

I am managing an ecommerce site and want to know if I can track and how the below;

Can I track a user thats landed on a social post (say Facebook) gone onto the site > browserd around > clicked off the site > come back through another channel (say organic) > made a purcahse.

Would I see the above as a Social transaction or Organic transaction?

Can I track a user thats landed on a social post (say Facebook) gone onto the site > browserd around > clicked off the site > come back through another channel (say ppc ad) > made a purcahse.

Would I see the above as a Social transaction or PPC transaction?

How woudl we track the above? If possible.

Thank you for any help

Re: Social eCommerce Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Craig,

Google Analytics automatically uses the Last Non-Direct attribution model. You would see that first path as a organic transaction and the second as a ppc transaction. Plus, since the user left the site and then came back, a new session starts. You would, however, notice that user as a returning user in your reports (as long as he or she does not clear cookies).

In order to track the above you would first need to follow GA's set up guidelines: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en

Hope that helps!
Maitri

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Maitri,

I have all GA setup and UA tracking code added.
To track social media do I not need uta url strings? Would this not create a campaign for the social channels? Or would Google just pull all the social activity > if a user purchased from social in GA?

I am really wanting to know how and if I can see the data if a customer has used social media to purchase. And would it show what social channel its come from.
Say Facebook > someone's personal FB account has posted about my ecommerce site > one of their followers clicks the post and lands on my ecommerce site > they transact from that social post.
Will the data provided just be a social transaction or will it tell me which Facebook page is atributed to the transaction?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
By default, Google Analytics will call facebook.com a referral. Note that this is different than if you want to set up tracking for any ads that you have on facebook. In order to look at the data about transactions that are completed by users coming straight from facebook, you could simply look at the source / medium that matches facebook.com / referral. There are also many features in GA that let you get very detailed!

For example, in order to look at a more detailed report of your facebook users and their behavior, you could follow this path:
Acquisition > Channels > Social > Facebook > In secondary dimension, select landing page > In conversions, select a goal.

This can show you how users coming from facebook landed on a certain page, and whether or not goal completions happened.

If you want to know more about tracking facebook ads: https://megalytic.com/blog/how-to-track-facebook-advertising-campaigns-in-google-analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for this.

So if I gave different Facebook accounts that will be mentioning my ecommerce site a campaign url I will be able to identify which Facebook page the transaction came from?

Also if I gave Facebook accounts that will be mentioning my ecommerce site a unique landing page this would show in GA which landing page has converted a transaction. Which in turn will lead me back to the Facebook account that mentioned my ecommerce site.

IReason I ask is there will be several different Facebook accoiunts mentioning our ecommerce site and we need to give them a referral fee if a customer purchases off our site. Can this be done with the above?

Really appreciate your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah, I see your point. Yes, you can track the different accounts by giving them different campaign tags.

When in GA, you can then see referrals by going to Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels > Social > Facebook > adding a secondary dimension of referral path. Then you could add in transaction or conversion/goal metrics by using the advanced reporting button towards the right.

Hope that answers your questions!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you very much