Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Slicing data based on custome dimensions and scope

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Do I need to create duplicate dimensions with varying scope to report against metrics with equal varying scope?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mike,

Can you put your question into context? I think I will have an answer for you but I am hoping that I could get more information.

Best,

Jordan

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So if we have a cohort that we want to track against page views and users, will we have to create two separate dimensions to track by each metric type? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

No. If you set your dimension at the hit level you will still be able to encapsulate the amount of users that triggered that interaction in GA.

Best,

Jordan

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hmm, why would you set a dimension any other level than hit then? 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

User: The field is set when a user arrives and persists without change unless they clear cookies/cache (i.e gender)

Session: It is set when a user arrives to the site and does not change until another visit (i.e. User arrives via Organic for one session and then social for another. session 1: medium = organic, session 2: medium = social)

Hit: User visits page A, clicks sign-up for newsletter and clicks share to FB. Three different hits for three unique events. 

To understand this further I would recommend reading this - http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/11/30/understanding-scope-google-analytics-reporting/

Best,

Jordan