Analytics
6.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sites not tracking keywords from traffic outside of Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I verified my site with google analytics and added it to the search console.  But it still doesn't show keywords that users type in to view my site from traffic outside of my Adwords campaigns.

As you can see from the screenshot, traffic from Bing organic, shows as (not set).  And I asked the search console forum about this and they couldn't help me and sent me here.

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 2.52.39 PM.pngSo help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sites not tracking keywords from traffic outside of Adwords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

John A. looking at the screen capture it looks like you are reviewing the report found in Acquisition-->All Traffic-->Channels with Source Medium selected and a secondary deminsion of Search Term; just a guess as I can not see your headers.

Have you tried to first look in the Search Console under that same path and see what Queries are being done and what pages they are landing on. I know from past experience that (Not Set) usually means that GA did not get the data it expected, it was in the wrong format, or it was missing. So if you are seeing quey terms in the search console you could add a secondary deminsion of Source/Medium and look at only those terms that truely came from doing an external search in my opinion the Search Console gives me a much better picture and more robust data than Channels.

Re: Sites not tracking keywords from traffic outside of Adwords

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I adjusted my report in Channels to use Keywords instead of Search Term and found that 12.05% of all searches from Bing came in as (not provided) in the last month I had 79,752 Sessions from Bing due to keywords and 9,609 said (not provided) so this is not uncommon let your data collect for awhile and see if you do not start seeing keywords show up.

Sites not tracking keywords from traffic outside of Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes that is exactly where I pulled the report from.  But I'm not sure how to pull up the search console report that you mentioned, so can you walk me through?  

It also does not show my twitter traffic.