Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site subdirectories and traffic numbers

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to verify I am understanding our analytics numbers correctly

On our site we have a library page that utilizes a subdirectory:

oursite/library/

as options are toggled, that returns several different urls that tack onto that, depending on sorting options selected

Such as

oursite/library/?filters%5B%5D=product_division%4099

or

oursite/library/?filters%5B%5D=product_division%4099

There are countless permutations. My question is, are all the toggled views rolled into the analytics numbers for the subdirectory oursite/library/

I want to make sure the structure of this page is not skewing our understanding numbers.Because if every toggle is counted as a page view for the subdirectory, it would be greatly skwed

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Each one of the urls will be tracked as a separate pageview. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by traffic numbers. For example, even though a single visitor may generate many different URLs during their session they will still be tracked as a single visitor, with one session. The number of urls will not influence this. 

To answer your question, yes - the different urls generated during the visit, as you describe them, will be included in the views to the directory /library. 

I do not think this makes your data incorrect, you just have to be clear on what it's measuring. Your urls are reflecting the fact that people are engaging with the site - by choosing various sorting options - and the page views count reflects this. Yes, it's possibly confusing - and there may be alternatives in how you measure this - but it does not mean your data collection is inherently wrong. 

If you wanted to know 'true' page views of the library page - where no options have been toggled then you could filter your data to only report page views which match the URL oursite/library$, for example (or something similar).

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response John!

What would you suggest as best way to get info for a directory like /library?

Apart from an accurate reading of visitors to this area, I am looking for the best most accurate way to get engagement stats for "/library/" as a subdirectory - meaning average duration info for /library/ and every sorting variation triggered in a session, tallied as one

We want to get an idea of how long people entering this area stay there on average. I tried the Content Drill down, but this breaks it everything out by individual pages, which destroys that.

I am reading this may have to involve a filtered view, which isn't retroactive, for historical data.

Any advice?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Quick Christmas holiday answer - yes, a filtered view would be one alternative. Note that a custom report will use a similar filter, and be retroactive. But you could also consider using content grouping - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853423?hl=en 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.