Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site speed report - avg page load time big spread

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for looking.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insights into why I seem to have such a wide spread of results in my site speed overview section? Please see below (date range from start of year).

For most browsers speed seems good, but Internet explorer and Opera are pretty awful, huge slow spikes.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin

page-load-ga.jpg

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site speed report - avg page load time big spread

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Kevin,

Have you adjusted your sample rate? That is, by default the sample is based on you getting 1 million pageviews a day. If you get less than that, adjust your sample rate so that you send ~ 10k samples per day which is the limit. That way you will get better data and can rely on these reports. You may be looking at only a few visits for Opera or IE which may have been sent when your servers were slow.

Hope that helps!

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Ah, thanks for the help.

Didn't make any difference though. Perhaps I've just too small a sample
set, circa average 500 - 600 visitors per day.

Any other avenues?

Thanks

--
Kevin McGee
------------------
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kevin m
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Kevin you have identified an anomyly in your data now comes the analysis portion. Their are many reasons why your page load times can be high such as the network they were on when they came to your site (refferal), their geographical location, the version of the browser they were using, the page they were trying to load, the day or time of day they tried to access that page, and the list goes on. In order to analyize this issue create a segment that only contains those sessions that the user utilized a browser of Internet Explorer and Opera. Next start looking around at the data, when you think you have found a culprit use an instant filter to filter that data out and see if your page load times come back in line. The cause could also be multiple causes such as geographical and browser version so dont get stuck looking for just a single issue.
On a personal note when I was presented with the same question starting out I traced the issue back to a series of users in the field coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, and Iran. When I filtered out their data the page load times came back inline. In my case this makes perfect sense since I have a large contingency of users in those areas and their networks are usualy adhoc and have a low priority in the satelite bandwidth usage.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your insights, all sounds like good advice based on experience!

Much appreciated.
Kevin

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Kevin,

With that small of sessions you need to up your sample rate up to 100%, that said you will see some differences in overall pageviews, etc because not all browsers support this data collection.

Lastly, what I was driving at is that you may not have identified anything. The report you shared is an overview, you need to drill down into each browser. From there you are looking for an even distribution of over your timeline and more importantly an appropriate sample rate /size. If you click (drilldown) on a browser you will be taken to behavior>>site speed>> page timings and you will enter on the explorer tab. Select the distribution tab and make sure that you have enough samples to even start an analysis. If you have not adjusted your sample rate, I can tell you that you most likely do not have enough samples or data to begin any analysis.

You will need to adjust your sample rate in the Google Analytics Tracking Code or in GTM to collect, in your case, 100% of your traffic. You can send up to 10K sample hits a day so you may as well use them!

Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn