Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to track the search terms used on our site, however, I have encountered a problem whilst setting this up in GA - the search term doesn't appear in the url.

Does this mean that I won't be able to track the data or is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Seema

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Seema I
May

Site search

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Seema,

If you do not have query parameters for search terms on your website(if you are using POST based search), you can modify the search result page URL by adding a virtual path as a parameter while sending the pageview. Example: ga('send', 'pageview', '/search_results.php?s=searchTerm');

And you can just specify the search query parameter in Google Analytics View settings as "s"(based on my example. You can use another search query parameter if you wish) and this should work fine.

If you need more information please refer to following article' 'Setting Up Site Search for POST-Based Search Engines' section. : https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012264?hl=en

I hope my answer helps you.

Regards,

Güney

Site search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Guney, that's really helpful. :-)

Site search

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You're welcome! Smiley Happy