Analytics
3.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site search category is always 'not set''

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear community

I have a page with internal search and I'm trying to know which filters do users click to search in it. The structure of the URL with a search and a filter is the following:

/search/apachesolr_search/?filters=sm_facetbuilder_facet_node_type%3A"facet_node_type%3Afacet_1"

In order to detect the internal search, I have activated the Site search tracking with "search" and "search/apachesolr_search/" as query parameters. I have activated also the Site search categories with "?filters=" as a Category parameter, but theonly information I can obtain in the Site search category is "Not set"

Thank you all very much for your helpGA internal search

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site search category is always 'not set''

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, in your example you don't seem to be capturing a keyword, in which case no category will be assigned to it.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

Thank you very much for your reply. I do not understand, where should I capture the keyword? In the previous example I was just filtering without seaching any particular concept. Please find below another example of normal search, and search with filters:

Normal search of the word "trial": /search/apachesolr_search/trial
Search the word "trial" filtering by "event": /search/apachesolr_search/trial?filters=sm_facetbuilder_facet_node_type%3A"facet_node_type%3Afacet_7"
Search the word "trial" filtering by "event" and "2014": /search/apachesolr_search/trial?filters=sm_facetbuilder_facet_node_type%3A%22facet_node_type%3Afacet_7%22%20created%3A%5B2014-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%20TO%202017-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%5D

In any of those cases, the information I get in Site search category is (not set)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Like I said, there is no search parameter so as a result, there is no search category.

Your url would need to look like so:
/search/apachesolr_search/?searchterm=trial&searchcategory=event

Of course, make sure that searchterm and searchcategory are defined in your view's list of onsite search keyword and category parameters (respectively)

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, I understand it now Smiley Happy

The problem is that the page is based on Drupal, so the URL has that structure and I can not change it.

I have defined as searchterm the "/search/apachesolr_search" and as searchcategory "?filters=". With this information, I get results for the internal searches but not for the categories.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're faced with a classic Drupal issue.
Are you using regular GA tagging or Google Tag Manager?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am using regular GA tagging

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

OK so you'll have te find a way with Drupal to rewrite your pageview call.

Assuming you have a search keyword and category, pass them to the Drupal config object on the search result page.

Then, with protocode similar to the following, 

// determine if search term is store in Drupal conf object or use the default GA URL
var _gaPage = Drupal.gaSearchTerm != undefined ? document.location.pathname : "/search/?term="+Drupal.gaSearchTerm;

// Rewrite the GA pageview call
ga('send','pageview',_gaPage);

I'm sure you can figure out how to expand this to include categories ;-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! I will try it and see if I can fix it