Analytics
4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site search behaviour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm working on redesigning my organization's website. The website's primary function is as a research library, with over 25,000 articles. Most (80%+) of our traffic comes directly from Google searches. We also have Google search embedded so users can search our library. I was reviewing the site search analytics over the past year, and I was surprised to find the following:

If I'm reading this correctly, only about 3% of visitors use our site search? If anyone has any insights into reading this data, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Site search behaviour

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics tracks site search behavior based on specific URL settings of the View. These settings define an URL pattern for search results pages. If the visitor accesses the page that matches ULR pattern it counts as Visits With Site Search. Traffic from Google searches is not considered to be tracked as visits with site search.

So you'd have to check our view settings. 

I suggest that Google Analytics doesn't support embedded search of the box and you would have to adjust your settings.

Site search behaviour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your response. I'll check with the site's developers to be sure it's tracking properly.