Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Site referring pages for .pdf downloads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a number of .pdfs on my website that are being tracked in Google Analytics via the Monster Insights plugin. This is great, but a PDF link could exist on multiple pages on my website and I'd like to track which page the visitor was on when they clicked the .pdf download link. What are some simple solutions? Should I add URL parameters like ?page-1 so that my .pdf URLs are www.company.com/document.pdf?page-1 instead of just www.company.com/document.pdf

I know I should move to Google Tag Manager eventually, but I'm looking for an interim solution. Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KeithDRS_940
1w

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @KeithDRS_940 :-)

What if you go to the Behaviour > Events > Pages report, leave the Primary Dimension as Page and add a Secondary Dimension of Action Label (from memory the plugin uses the action label field to distinguish the download url or the pdf file name?)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KeithDRS_940
1w

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @KeithDRS_940 :-)

What if you go to the Behaviour > Events > Pages report, leave the Primary Dimension as Page and add a Secondary Dimension of Action Label (from memory the plugin uses the action label field to distinguish the download url or the pdf file name?)

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a great solution, thank you Bronwyn V!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Happy to help @KeithDRS_940 :-)