Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site Speed Metrics do not correlate to Conversion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey All,

Background:

We have done a lot of 'r squared' scatter plot analyses to see if there is a statistically significant relationship between Conversion Rate, and any of the GA site speed metrics.

However, none appear to have any correlation.  A much better metric seems to be SpeedIndex, which is tracked through a tool we use called SpeedCurve. This metric seems to be similar to the Content Interactive Time metric in GA. 

Question:

Wondering if anyone has found any of the GA speed metrics to actually have a correlation with their Conversion Rate? 

Also wondering if its worth increasing the sampling rate of site speed data (GA default is as currently it seems like this is not worth spending our time working on ahead of any other work in our roadmap. But maybe that would result in more accurate data, and some of the metrics would become meaningful to use. 

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Site Speed Metrics do not correlate to Conversion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There are plenty of examples & studies out there about the subject:

https://www.google.fi/search?q=how+speed+affects+conversion

But I think even with 100 % sample rate it would be hard to make straight correlation about how much page speed affects your conversion rate since there are so many other variables.

If you have a VERY slow site and you improve your load times with 3 seconds for example, you might have to beat possible negative reputation that was generated when your site was slow with active marketing which itself could boost your CR.

And if your pricing is off or your product is crappy / uninteresting it does not really matter if your site is fastest on the web.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.