Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site Search Goal Conversion vs Goal Conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Please could someone help me understand the difference between the Goal Conversion metric shown on the Site Search > Usage report and the Site Search Goal Conversion metric found on the Site Search > Search Terms > Goal Set 1 report? The latter is much lower than the former, and I don't understand why.

Thanks,

Mirissa

Re: Site Search Goal Conversion vs Goal Conversion

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Every goal you have set up in GA is assigned a Set number when you create it. So for example one goal might be " Contact Form - Goal ID 1/ Goal Set 1". You can check by going to Admin > View > Goals. How you can view it in your reports depends on how it was set up.

In some reports in GA, all of the goal conversions are included. In others, they are split out depending on the ID of the goal. The report you are looking at in the second instance is the report for only "Goal Set 1" (whatever that is set up as in your account).

Does that make sense? Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abbie,

Yes, it does make sense but these are both for Goal 1.
I just need to understand how these 2 metrics are calculated: Goal 1 Conversion Rate and Site Search Goal 1 Conversion Rate.
If the latter is the conversion rate for sessions which had at least one search, then shouldn't it match the overall Conversion Rate shown for 'Visits with Search' on the search usage report?

Thanks,

Mirissa

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Oh I see! If you are comparing Goal Set 1 explorer reports in both Usage and Search Terms (both traffic with searches), then yes those metrics should be the same.

Are you using any segments or filters?

Are you still getting issues? If so please share some screenshots.