Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Site Redesign and HUGE drop in Google referral traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum or sub-forum. In case it is I'll keep it short until I know I'm where I'm supposed to be.  6 year old blog redesigned, launched new design on Friday.  Google referral numbers were the same as always for 2 days, then DROPPED.  From around 5,000 referrals a day to 1,200 for the past 2 days.  This blog is my job, my income, so a drop like that is terrifying.  So.  Am I in the right place? ~ karen!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site Redesign and HUGE drop in Google referral traffic

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

GA tracking beacon seems to be firing correctly and sending data to: UA-13231535-1 .

You might want to check if there a re any filters added to the view that might be affecting the count in GA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Something very strange is up. My homepage doesn't even show up when I google my site. A few posts do but the actual site not showing up seems a bad sign. My web coder said this when I asked her about it all:

"The only thing I did that could've been related was just changing the sitemap.xml from Google XML Sitemaps to All In One SEO Pack, which we've done on nearly all of our clients' sites (and ours... made the switch) and weren't aware of an issue like this. I did put it back the way it was before so it's now Google XML Sitemaps and I resubmitted the sitemap. You may have to wait a few days to see if that was the problem. The only other thing I can think of is if there were any categories, tags, posts or images removed, but I also don't see how that could affect your traffic that much.

I don't have any idea. It was either the sitemap, or something else that I'm completely unaware of that maybe you can ask Google about."

~karen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, it isn't only in Google Analytics. It's showing up as a very low number in my site stats as well. So it isn't a filter thing. It's something that happened during/after the redesign of my site.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Karen,

You're using the old ga.js code on your site, it is still supported by Google Analytics but it is strongly recommended to Universal Analytics. As GA Guru mentioned, the pageviews are sent from the site to GA.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/upgrade/reference/gajs-analyticsjs

Regarding the indexing issue I'd recommend you to check your site in Google Webmaster tools to see if it has any crawl errors. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold. I've forwarded your info to my developer. Keep in mine this problem is new. Since Friday with the launch of the new design of my site. I just got a note from my developer saying

"there was a piece of code that I forgot about that I left in the header file, and it was to discourage bots from crawling the site. I add that into testing sites so that they don't get indexed and I always remove them before going live. This time, I just completely forgot about it since I didn't do things our "standard" way. I just removed it. Sorry about that!!!!"

In your opinion was that the problem and will removing that bit of code get things back on track with Google for me? I'd assume yes, but want to double check.

. ~ karen
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karen B
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Karen,

Yes, it should resolve the issue. Basically your developer told Google to avoid indexing your site.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/93710?hl=en

Your pages will be indexed next time when Google crawls your site.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Perfect. That's what I was hoping for. I'll also look into switching over to Universal Analytics. Thanks for the help and reassurance. ~ karen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Me again. Sorry. I just took a look at my stats and they're frighteningly low. I had NO idea how much traffic I got from Google searches all these years. The interfering code has been removed. In general, how long can I expect before my traffic returns to normal from indexing? A week? A month? 3 months? And is there something specific I can do (aside maybe from individually crawling each of my thousands of posts in Google Webmaster. ~ karen!