Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Single session counts the visitor as returning visitor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have launched my site in September, it's password protected, and I keep a close eye on who visits it. 

One thing I do not understand is how comes a visitor who has historically never previously visited my site before until his first visit on Nov 2nd is counted as a repeat visitor.

Any views on that, anybody?

Thank you
Jakub

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Single session counts the visitor as returning visitor

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jakub.
How do you know he never previously visited your site?

Is your tracking code on the login page? If so, the user doesn't have to have logged in to have been tracked. If you only want to track users who login, make sure that the tracking code is only on pages that are password protected.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dave, thanks for your response! Well, I know because I've only just launched the site and the visit numbers are in single digits. Also this person visited from a place that nobody ever visited from before and, honestly, I can't really imagine that same person would've been able to visit from both places, given where those places are located in the world Smiley Happy No, it's not on the login page. Only on pages after the login page.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Thanks Jakub for the response.
The locations can vary drastically depending on the ISP and device.

Note too that if the session visited on the 2nd on November and then left the site for 30 mins (or even went to the toilet for 30 mins leaving the site open) and then returned or became active again, he/she would be classed as a repeat visitor. Yes, it's unlikely that their ISP switched their location but it's possible.

Without knowing more detail, that's the best I've got right now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's possible, but at that point a new session would be recorded, which isn't the case here - that's the weird thing!

Thanks Dave