Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up a redirect - a double check on Google rules

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

This might be a stupid question as I think I already know the answer, but I want to double check anyway.

If a client wants to run an offline ad (e.g. print), I want to tell them to create an easy URL which they can enter e.g. www.campaignpage.com/mediatitle which the team can then apply a 301 redirect to so it goes to a campaign page with utm parameters e.g. www.campaignpage.com?utm_source=magazineX&utm_campaign=winterpromo&utm_medium=print

Reason being is that there's no reason to have a special page just for that type of media - I simply want to be able to track the source and medium as magazine title/print so I can segment those customers later on, as opposed to just being under direct.

My question is: is this a good approach or would Google see this as duplicate content and therefore penalise? I'm thinking they wouldn't penalise as I'm not briefing the team to create two pages with duplicate content, but just applying a redirect to a URL. But better to check than give a potentially dangerous recommendation!

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicola S
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Nicola S :-)

The redirection sounds correct.

Regarding duplicate content. There is no page, so no duplication of content.

Thanks

Bronwyn 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome! I thought as much but wanted to double check with experts - thanks so much, Bronwyn!