Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sessions with Multiple Windows and Tabs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, this is silly but I am having a hard time explaining this to a coworker. Someone suggested to a client that opening internal links in new windows target="_blank" could improve the performance of their website. The content in question is a bunch of text articles. I know this is not best practice, but I am having to provide supporting evidence and documentation to thwart this tom foolery. 

I had hoped to find information on how Google Analytics handles multiple browser tabs/windows, but came up short. Could anyone provide me with some examples or point me at some materials that I could reference?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author miguel m
June 2016

Re: Sessions with Multiple Windows and Tabs

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Miguel,

What a fantastic way to confuse your visitors! Smiley Happy

GA handles these as the same session. Basically since the clientid is the same in the first party cookie and the session is initiated it pays no attention at all to how the content is delivered either in the same tab or other tabs or windows.

That said, it can screw with TOS calculations. Avinash dived into this a LONG time ago but it's still correct:

http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/standard-metrics-revisited-time-on-page-and-time-on-site/

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn