Analytics
5.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

'Sessions with Event' and 'Events/Sessions with Event' are completly off

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see see strange results regarding abovementioned metrics.

From GA I take it that 'Sessions with Event' is defined as the 

Total number of sessions in which at least one Event is triggered.

Likewise, 'Events/Sessions with Event' is the:

Total number of Events per session.

The latter is calculated from the former as 

ga:totalEvents / ga:sessionsWithEvent

Most events I track report a very high count of 'Events/Sessions with Event' or low number of 'Sessions with Event', which is unexpected given the definitions above. For instance, clicking a recommended article from a certain widgets appears to happen about 60 times per session or a button is clicked 30 times per session.

Here is a real live example to work with:

Outbound Link EventOutbound Link Event

This is a custom report showing the number of times an outbound link was clicked as total events. 'Sessions with Event' reports only 983 out of 45,292 triggered this event, hence an average of ~60 outbound links is clicked during sessions that feature this particual event.

Are 'Sessions with Event' miscalculated? Do I misinterpret the results/metrics? Is it likely I made a (common) mistake in either the report or the implementation?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 'Sessions with Event' and 'Events/Sessions with Event' are completly off

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

David, the math seems to work for me if I take 58,451 and divide that by 983 I get 59.4618514750763 or rounded to 59.46 which is what your report is reporting. Where are you seeing the that the math is off.

In your custom report you have 45,292 sessions of those 983 sessions triggered the event, the total number of events those 983 sessions triggered was 58,451 events and of those 58,451 events 50,715 were unique events. So if you divide the number of events (58,451) by the number of sessions with an event (983) you get the average Events/Sessions with Events of 59.46.

If you see something different please let me know where I am not fully grasping your question.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I admit my wording was rather poor. The math seems to be alright, but the actual numbers are odd. I don't expect users to click about 60 outbound links in one session and only very few to do so.

Re: 'Sessions with Event' and 'Events/Sessions with Event' are compl

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Ok so your numbers seem to be inflated, if I were to trouble shoot this on my system I would revisit my implementation of events. First I would undo the events and see if you are still getting counts if so then you have events being tracked that you are unaware of and would need to figure out which Page they are tied to so you can review the code on that page or pages. If everything seems fine implement the event code only on a couple of pages and see if the numbers grow rapidly you can do this your self by looking at events in real time.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You are looking at a heavily sampled report from over 1.6 million sessions. 

Shorten your time period so no more than 500,000 sessions are processed.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, so why "unique events" and "sessions with events" are so defferent? 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

The report snippet shown includes a column for 'Sessions'. That does not appear on a standard report, so everything about the data is suspect. It also shows a filter, and is heavily sampled, and may have a segment applied. Details matter a LOT in GA reporting. A 'Session' is counted only on the first hit of the session, so any filtering or segment that would affect the first hit would cause the session count to drop like a stone.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.