Analytics
6.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sessions not matching between google analytics and my client referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question about sessions between websites.

On my website the i have some links to another page (my client), and when i do the report in google analytics, audience, i create a custom segment including sessions with eventLabel matching his website. But my sessions are a lot more than the sessions that he gets at referral: source=my website. I don't know how to fix this, or at least how to explain why the numbers don't match. IIf you have some ideas it would be great.

Many thanks,

Livia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sessions not matching between google analytics and my client refer

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Livia,

first check if your outgoing-link events are missing on some pages with links to your client's page. Your client may send you his Analytics referral-path report from Aquisition > All Traffic -> Referrals -> Your Domain for that.

Christoph
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Livia C
November 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Livia,

1. How big is the discrepancy? please provide as a percentage.
2. What is the average bounce rate of your traffic on the clients website (Aquisition > All Traffic -> Referrals)?
3. What is the form of these links that direct to the clients website?
For example some sites might make the background a link and users will click by mistake and the moment they notice they are no longer on the same site they'll close page before your clients ga tag fires.
4. If the discrepancy is very big, you might have to inspect your clients GA implementation. (maybe their page is slow and tracking code doesn't fire fast enough)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kudakwashe,

Many thanks for reply, the discrepancy is high, i mean i obtain more than 200% sessions than the client; Bounce rate of his is 44.97%; we have some buttons and when the user press them they open the client page.

I was thinking, if the number of sessions from my website, segmenting only when the users go to their pages, is bigger than the clients referral (source=my website) sessions then maybe in sessions are calculated differently, and my GA is showing more sessions because my site is the host....

Regards,
Livia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Many thanks for reply, i already check all of them and they are fine, i will try to see from where the problem comes.

Many thanks,
Livia

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Yes, that's a good idea - compare the number of sessions on your site (using a segment that includes the outgoing-link event) with that of the other site (using a segment that includes source=your website).

Otherwise, slow page speed and/or execution of tracking code only at the end of the web pages on the other website could cause that difference, too. Check your sites with Google PageSpeed tool [1] for that.

Christoph

[1] https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/