Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sessions, Users and Page Views Flat Lined Over Four Days

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I'm not sure how this happened, but when I log in to Google Analytics and look at the Audience Overview, I see that my data from Feb. 21 - Feb. 25 shows that I have had zero (or at least up to two) sessions, users and page views. According to the analytics through my SquareSpace site, I have received traffic during these days. I have removed and re-inserted my tracking code and I don't think that is the problem. I'm honestly stumped. The site URL is: www.millennialonthemove.com. Let me know if you'd like the tracking code and I can provide that. 

Any ideas on how I could get this fixed? Also, am I able to get that data restored from the period of time listed above in any way (assuming that there is a solution to this problem)? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Katie C :-)
There are two copies of tracking code installed for tracking id UA-91449724-1
One of them is for the current version of code. the other copy is for the previous version of the tracking code snippet.
Having both installed will result in incorrect or non-tracking of a website.

I'm assuming the code injection method has been used to add the current version of tracking code

From their documentation, their integration has not yet been updated to the current version of tracking code.
to remove the older version of code, you need to 

1. In the Home Menu, click Settings, click Advanced, and then click External Services.
  2. Ensure that Google Analytics Account Number is blank. If there's a number in the box, delete it.
  3. Click Save.

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815608-Using-Google-Analytics-with-Squarespace

You should start to see data within your reports again within 4-24hrs

Also if you have added any filters to the View that may be causing the reporting to not report, I would suggest removing them and creating a new View to test them on so you can see the effects of them without losing data if they do not work as expected

eta.. also bare in mind.. normal processing latency is 24-48hrs.. usually reports will show data on the current day, but they don't always, sometimes it can be slow coming into the reports.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I added the code to the external services part of the website last night to see if that would solve the issue (I didn't know that was the old way of adding the code to SquareSpace sites). So, that has been added to the site for less than 12 hours - as it was just a test to see if adding the code in that way would solve the issue. I just went and removed it. 

I don't think this had anything to do with the reason why the data flat lined from Feb. 21 - Feb. 24. The code in my head section of the site has been there since I set up my blog and it looks like data reporting is back to normal in Google Analytics from Feb. 25 to today (sessions, page views and users are all pulling in). 

I didn't add any filters so that wouldn't cause this either. I've always just looked at all website data from Google Analytics. 

Any other ideas on how we can get this fixed? I have attached screenshots to illustrate the data discrepancies between Google Analytics and SquareSpace Analytics.Both of these are sorted by "daily" data (not week or month). 

Google Analytics.PNGSquareSpace Analytics.PNG

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
I really have no idea why that may have occurred.
There are no GA service issues or outages in the status dashboard for those dates (2nd table)
https://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status

I'm wondering if a technical glitch on squarespace's end may have possibly been what has caused your analytics tracking outage.

eg if they were doing updates and one of them caused the code injection of tracking to not be included in the front end of the site so it could track (have seen that happen before with other companies)

Unfortunately, lost data is not usually recoverable

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, there's nothing I can do to continue troubleshooting and get that data back? Or at least find a reason as to why that occurred? 

Is there anyone I can contact at Google?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

In the GA interface at the upper right.. there is a bell icon.. is there any indication of any analytics notifications there?
You will see a number over the bell within a coloured circle, if you  click it, it will open up the notifications.

Also, in GA in the Admin section, are you able to open up the Account change history and take a screenshot?

Did you contact squarespace to ask them if they have had any technical issues due to platform updates or similar?

If you are an adwords clients, Google offer limited adwords support to adwords clients for analytics. 
You would need to be logged into your adwords account to access the support options and they will need your adwords client id when you contact them.

Re: Sessions, Users and Page Views Flat Lined Over Four Days

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope, no analytics notifications. All I have are notifications regarding "filter internal traffic," "try a new goal," and "try Google Tag Assistant Recordings." 

I also contacted SquareSpace and they suggested that I take the code of of the head and put it in their built in Google Analytics section. So, I removed the code and put my tracking ID under external services like I had done last night. Already checked with Tag Assistant and Google Analytics is working normally on the page. 

This is what they sent to me via email: 

Thanks for the useful screenshots. I checked your site and can see that you are using Google's code snippet rather than our built in option for integrating Google Analytics which involves placing a Tracking ID in Settings > Advanced > External Services

After entering a tracking ID, or even the code snippet, on a Squarespace site, it can take up to 24 hours before Google starts to report information about a site so this may account for some of the differences in data and you may need to wait a few more days for the statistics to improve. I'd also recommend checking to make sure that your code was entered correctly. As this is a custom code solution we would be unable to assist with this. Google has a guide which you can use to troubleshoot common tracking setup mistakes:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009683?hl=en

As a workaround it may be worth adding a tracking ID instead. Google has a guide on how to find this here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032385?hl=en

It's important to note that there are always variations between any two analytics platforms based on how each platform is built to calculate results. We have more information on common differences here:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815608-Using-Google-Analytics-with-Squarespace#...

If you're still seeing discrepancies after going through the steps and information above please let us know and we'll be happy to take another look.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or need any further clarification, please reach out and we'll be happy to assist.

I have attached a screenshot of the change history - no changes since Feb. 5 (aside from the changes I've been making today, Feb. 26) 

Screenshot.png

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks for the screenshot, appreciate you taking the time to do that :-)
I don't work for Google, i volunteer with helping ppl here on the community.

SquareSpace have pointed you to the same google help pages, that I would be linking you to.

SquareSpace have their own integration for analytics with their platform via the tracking id method.
There are fors and againsts for that.

Using their integration, they add the tracking code and a user simply gives them their tracking id. It should work without issues.

Having said that..you have no control over the tracking code if you wish to modify it, or configure it differently. They also use the previous version of the tracking code, so new analytics features wont be available to you, and some of the current tracking features are universal analytics specific.

Something I noticed from that screenshot is that you have enabled Remarketing data collection.
Enabling it via the interface only, to the best of my knowledge only applies to analytics.js or AMP tagging (not for ga.js per their integrated tracking code). 
In order to have it work properly for ga.js it does also require editing of the tracking code snippet.
More info here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7062343

Only other suggestion i can make at this stage is to contact adwords support, maybe they will be able to shed some further light on the issue for you.