Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sessions Fell 52% / Bounce Rate Decreased 60% / Pageviews Up 500% on Template & Host Change - Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am monitoring a website for my company that went through an overhaul this past summer.  Overnight, with the switch of hosting location and template change, the site in Sweden lost about 52% of its sessions and 75% of it's users (vaporirzed).  Since September when this change occured, it hasn't recovered.  Bounce rate went down drastically from 90% to 30% and all other metrics are showing extremely signficant gains (23 second page view times to 2:43 etc.)

We identified that the loss of these sessions came exclusively from Direct Traffic.  Referrals and others sources were unaffected.  We further identified that the majority of the Direct Traffic that was lost was from a Service Provider in Sweden called Telia Network Services.  Further tracing revealed that the website previously may have been hosted on the Telia network.

Still doing research on  the issue but I'd like to identify where all this bad traffic was coming from to explain the issue to the people involved.  My working hypothesis now is that the website previously may have been using a CDN provided by Telia and the CDN may have been racking up the session statistics each time it pinged the host server for a newly cached page. Is this possible?  Can an improperly configured CDN result in inflated Google Analytics Session counts?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sessions Fell 52% / Bounce Rate Decreased 60% / Pageviews Up 500% on Template & Host Change - Why?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm not entirely sure at a first glance but make sure you check if the data isn't measured twice. f.ex. Google Analytics being fired through the snippet and through a GTM tag. 

If your analytics are getting measured twice this might cause a huge increase in pageviews and a big decrease in bouncerate. 

Possibly that this isn't the problem because this shouldn't effect sessions but still might be worth to take a look at. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I checked that just to be sure.  Ran the ta assistant on it too.  Only one tag is firing and no others are present.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Have you found out anything new? These kind of "mysteries" always intrigue me.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The only thing we can figure is that the loss of direct traffic was a result of changed URLs but we redirected all of them with 301s at the launch so it puzzles me still.  We'd also expect to see a commensurate increase in organic search as a result but it's been negligible increase.  We shall see!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Maybe you can try posting on https://plus.google.com/communities/114481059214254340537. Some really nice and helpful people over there.

The fact that your bouncerate decreased by 60% and pageviews up by 500% i honestly really think that there's some sort of double tracking going on. Maybe the tracker was on the page that was redirecting and also on the redirected page? Making it double track? (i'm really just thinking out loud here)