Analytics
5.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sessions Count Drop in Google Analytics but other networks showing similar numbers

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I recently closed my website for 1 day whilst i performed maintenance. I then changed my SEO settings to introduce SEO friendly URLs (i.e. they went from /thread-1234.php, to /My-New-Car-Thread.php) (e.g. http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/Thread-Greetings-Earthings). At the same time I submitted an updated sitemap via Google WebMaster Tools.

Ever since those two events my sessions count has reduced dramatically in my analytics account from around 2000 daily to just 200 - but looking elsewhere the traffic to my site is still the same. I was wondering if the URL change is responsible, and if so, whether my reported traffic levels will return to normal shortly?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Sessions Count Drop in Google Analytics but other networks showing similar numbers

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
If the above website you are linking to is your site, there doesnt seem to be any google analytics tracking code installed. Google tag assistant didnt find any ga tracking on the pages i checked.

So, likely you will want to recheck your installation of the tracking.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Bronwyn,

Doh - that would be a good point. Turns out my tracking code was removed during the maintenance I was performing.

Out of interest, what would the ~200 sessions have been that Google Analytics was reporting given there was no code on the site? And how can I track that analytics tracking code has been added successfully now? (I've readded it now).

Many thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You should see data returning in the reports within 24hrs once the tracking code has been reinstalled.
You can also check the pages with a tool like Google Tag Assistant

The traffic you were seeing for the period that it wasnt installed is likely spam data. This is a known issue and not specific to GA, it affects most analytics solutions to some extent.
Good article here on the different types and how your Property should be seutp and how to create and configure the filters and segments for keeping your data fairly clean and spam free
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here