Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Session duration, Paid vs Organic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Over the past 30 days my paid visitors only averaged 46 seconds, while organic visitors stay for over 6 minutes. If I go back a whole year it's not quite so bad, 34 seconds for paid visitors vs 3 minutes & 41 seconds organic. They are both directed to the same page i.e. the index.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Session duration, Paid vs Organic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
What's your concern, if any?

By paid, do you mean paid search? If so, are you autotagging paid search traffic? Is autotagging working as expected? Are your AdWords campaigns optimised in terms of ad messaging, landing pages that relate to ad message etc.?

Let me know if the above helps at all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My concern is that some days the average session duration for paid visitors is only a few seconds. It seems hardly worth my while paying for them to visit. On top off that, the two figures are getting further apart ie paid visitor session duration shorter and organic visitor session duration longer.
Yes, paid search. My website only has a few pages www.billabongfurniture.com.au so I don't see much point in separating the landing pages. I am open to suggestion if you think otherwise.
Thanks for your help.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I'd first check if AdWords tagging is working. Follow the below. If tracking is not working, paid search traffic is being attributed as organic search traffic.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?hl=en&ref_topic=1308612

If tracking is working, I'd analyse AdWords traffic in the relevant AdWords section in GA in Acquisition > AdWords and see what keywords are driving traffic, how they perform, compare Search Queries (keywords users search for on Google) against Keywords (the keywords with which your ads are being displayed), among others. I think the key here is to analyse your paid search traffic so as to find out whether it's worth still investing in it. If you can find room for optimisation, then do so and monitor performance.