Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Session and avg. session duration for an event.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am not clear on certain metrics being calculated for events. For, example, what is a session and avg. session duration for a particular event. Also, i can see bounce rate, which is not clear to me. Can someone please explain.

Will

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

An event is a 'hit' which is sent during a session. A session name given from when a visitor first comes to your site until they leave, or have 30 minutes of inactivity. During a session they can send events, page views, transaction hits, custom dimensions. The duration of the session is the time from when the first hit is sent (usually a page view) to the last. More here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. When you say the first hit was sent- does it nothing has to do with that particular event being hit? For example- if a total number of sessions against a single event is 3000 and average session duration is 4 minutes. Is it based on that particular event. Appreciate if you could explain it a further please?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

An event is sent as a hit, which is part of a session. I don't understand your example entirely but if you have a segment which selects all the sessions which have triggered a particular event, then the reported session duration is for those sessions.

Does that help?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.