Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Service Provider Questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

In Google Analytics I've noticed strange web traffic coming to some of my client's sites over the past few month from "Service Provider"= "rocket fuel inc.". Rocket Fuel is one of the vendors we've used as an agency for almost 3 years and I've never once seen traffic in analytics defined with rocket fuel inc. as the service provider. As Rocket Fuel is not technically classified as a service provider such as a Comcast or Verizon, I'm wondering why they are being reported as such in analytics. If there's any way someone could help me find an answer to this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashley
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Service Provider Questions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ashley,

That's hard to tell ... Could be that Rocket Fuel just has acquired iits own IP-address range they are entering the Internet with, could be that it's some service hosted at them for customers. Insert 'city' as secondary dimension to check if it's more a kind of service for a multitude of clients.

Technically, each company holding a proper IP-address range is listed in the service-provider report - maybe Internet providers for private users, maybe corporate networks, or any technical infrastructure in charge of Internet access.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ashley,

I see a very similar pattern on a client website. The site generally gets about 250 sessions a day and this has been very stable for the past months. Last week, we had few days where we received over 1500 daily sessions.

I went into Analytics to do a week over week comparison. This is where I noticed that all those extra visits have rocket fuel inc. as a service provider. Looking into the demographic data, all those session have (not set) for Country and (not set) for City.

I'm looking at 4500 sessions with 3 Pages/Session average and 00:00:01 for Average Session Duration.

I realize my post isn't going to help you but I thought I would share since you're not the only one experiencing this. I decided to create a filter to remove this from our reporting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Christoph and Nicolas. I appreciate the feedback from you both. Nicolas, please keep an eye on the quality of this traffic if it persists. When I found it initially I saw the same thing, country and city were "not set" but the average session duration seemed normal, there were a few pages visited per session and the bounce rates weren't too high. After a month, the time on site dropped to 00:00:01 or 00:00:00, and average of 1 or <1 pages was visited per session and the bounce rate skyrocketed to 100%. I have created segments which exclude this traffic however for most of our clients, I don't have the permissions/access necessary to create a true filter for this traffic.

In our talks with Rocketfuel, they've attempted to reach out to Google unsuccessfully however, they were able to find a strong correlation between when their spiders crawl our clients sites for pixels and the period during the influx of traffic. Our next call will be to discuss why the spiders are crawling the sites so often, as much as on a weekly basis, and if there isn't some sort of cap they can place on this. If this traffic continues to skew your numbers (this has been effecting us for 3+ months now), it might be worth having the conversation with your rep. I'm happy to know we aren't the only ones who've noticed this and it might help the Rocketfuel team to know that we aren't the only client who's experienced this.

I appreciate your responses. Thank you very much!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have exactly the same problem - did you get to the bottom of the issue? Many thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I believe the traffic is being caused by Rocketfuel's spiders crawling the site. I would ask your rep to adjust the frequency of the crawls on your site. We resolved to simply filter the traffic but unfortunately the issue has persisted as I can see our clients sites still receiving large amounts of traffic from rocketfuel as a service provider. I wish this issue had been resolved. Please let me know if you're able to make any progress here. Thanks!