Analytics
6.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sequence segment session count and custom report session count not equaling?

all
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
all
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to understand which data to trust and what the data gaps are that are happening.

I have setup a custom sequence segment with the following details:

• Include sessions, where the sequence start is the first interaction
  • Step 1) Landing Page dimension exactly matches url1
  • Is immediately followed by 
  • Step 2) Page contains fragment 2

This gives me a session count of 1 (no other filters are applied).

For the same date range I have setup a custom report with the following details:

• Dimensions: Landing Page, Second Page
  • Metrics: Sessions
  • Filters: Include Landing Page exact url1 AND include Second Page Regex fragment 2

This gives me a session count of 44 (no other filters or segments applied to this report).

What is causing the discrepancy? I am just trying to be able to get accurate session counts for sessions that follow certain flows: ex count of sessions where their landing page is url1, and the next thing they do in that session is have a pageview of url2.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Sequence segment session count and custom report session count not equaling?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The problem is probably your choice of fields for the segment. The Landing Page is a session-level dimension. The segment requires that the Landing Page assignment be the first interaction...what if it was an event? The Landing Page assignment could be the second interaction???

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.