Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Self referral problem

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

we have a problem with self referrals. So, since we took this client, we decided to do the entire implementation via Tag Manager. The website is on Universal Analytics (for example let's call this domain hit.com) and everything is tracked with Tag Manager. Problems started when we saw a problem with one part of their website. When you pick the service you would like to use and buy, another tab is opened and you are taken to a subdomain, for example buy.hit.com. This subdomain is still on Classic Analytics. Where was the problem? We started to see a lot of hit.com/referral in our Analytics reports, especially in the part when people enter the conversion process (conversions ,goals...) Basically, a lot of traffic (but not all) is expressed with hit.com/referral.

So, we have this problem:

Domain hit.com (Universal Analytics) --> conversion process takes over to a subdomain, for example buy.hit.com (Classic Analytics)

Can someone please help us what to do since regular referral exclusion is not working and we can't process the data regulary by channels.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Self referral problem

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@Panda I

you have to set up cross domain tracking:
1. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en
2. https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cross-domain

If you set up good, you wouldn't have hit.com in referrals.

SH

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

You won't be able to track the conversion process in a single session because Universal Analytics is not compatible with ga.js. You'll need to upgrade the tracking code on the subdomain to universal analytics (to remove classic code and add the GTM container code).
Once that's done don't forget to set your cookie domain to auto. In GTM in your Universal Analytics tag settings please go to "Fields to Set" section and add Field Name: "cookieDomain" and Value: "auto".
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thanks for your answer. I'm also thinking that this is the case. Do you think that regular cross domain tracking won't work?

Thanks in advance

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi,

You don't need cross domain tracking for subdomains when using Universal Analytics.
For cross domain tracking with ga.js you'd need to downgrade your tracking tag in GTM, I'd not recommend that.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital