Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Self-Referrals

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, Community!

So our website recently launched a sub-domain site and our stakeholders decided it would be ideal to just use the same tracking code as the main domain. Well, this spiked our self-referrals like crazy, and they are okay with it. I need some reassurance that the following interaction is correct for my GA account (keep in mind that MySite.com and SubDomain.MySite.com use the same GA code)...

RandomSite.com > MySite.com > SubDomain.MySite.com > MySite.com

1. Would there be three sessions accounted for in my GA account? This is assuming it's all completed within the 30-minute window.

2. Would RandomSite.com get credited with one referral session and MySite.com, which is the main domain for my GA account, get credited for two referral sessions?

3. Aside from referral data, would this greatly skew any of my other data?

For the record, I wanted to use a separate GA tracking code for this sub-domain to make it simpler. I was overruled by the stakeholders, unfortunately. Is there a better way of doing this using the same tracking code? My stakeholders, who have analytics experience, don't want to discount these users who go back and forth from domain and sub-domain.

Thanks, Community!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Self-Referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Look up cross domain tracking. With the new universal analytics, it is a simple configuration option and makes all the self-referrals fade away (they don't all disappear instantly for technical reasons).

Lots of your metrics will be messed up in the meantime. Don't bother trying to make sense of it all combined. Suggest you create a couple of segments - for hostname is mysite.com, and hostname is subdomain.mysite.com, and use those two segments to get cleaner view of your traffic on the individual servers.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.